Monday, February 23, 2009

Thing 4: RSS and Newsreaders

I love my bloglines account!!! I've currently got 44 feeds and it's a wonderfully easy way for me to stay current on all the things I would previously have gotten from a listserv.

I've primarily been using it for blog feeds but last week I added the St. Johns County Public Library feed for their website. This is cool because now I know if they update their website (they're using Drupal and it's really nice).

  • What do you like about RSS and newsreaders?
  • that I don't have to go out and check everything. It all comes to me. That I can read them from wherever I am, not just on the computer where they are bookmarked. (One of the reasons I love delicious.com)

  • How do you think you might be able to use this technology in your library or personal life?
  • I think for the State Library I could envision their being an RSS feed for the blog I hope to create soon and if they update the website using drupal, perhaps people could also subscribe to get updates for the sites of use to them.

  • What other tools or ways did you find to locate newsfeeds?
  • I tend to read the news I want to read so didn't find this useful for me.

  • Find any great sources we should all add to our feed reader?
  • I think the blogs I read are pretty standard ones that most folks are reading. I like iLibrarian. I think I have a new favorite everyweek. I'm really fond of the ones my friends with kids write - it lets me watch them grow up even though we aren't anywhere near each other.

No comments: